Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Now and Forever

I finally watched The Notebook a few weeks ago. I was intrigued. Memories and images of my parents flooded my mind during the film and they continue to haunt me. So, I decided to share one particular story.

Often I witnessed my parents spending quality time together, especially with other couples like Kary and Judi, they would all hang out like best buds at our home. I knew they loved each other. However, I truly experienced and understood my parent's love for one another when Mom was sick and dying. He never wanted to leave her side. Although he didn't always communicate properly and she didn't always have the patience for him - the core of their love unfolded before my eyes one special night.

I was home from school for the weekend and Mom had taken a drastic turn for the worst. If I remember correctly, it was only a few weeks before she died. Dad's boss at the time refused him any leave. He was working 40 hour weeks and working overtime at his office 45 minutes away. He was frazzled and, this particular weekend, could not find time to shave. So, within a handful of days he had a short, scratchy, grey beard.

I had been outside working out my stress, sadness, and depression by weeding the garden and mowing the lawn. When I came through the front door, I saw something that will forever remain etched in my memory. Mom was lying on her swing bed, which was temporarily located in front of the living room fireplace, and Dad was bent over her frail body with his hand gently behind her head and Mom's hand was stroking his cheek. They were whispering to one another with soft tears quietly and smoothly spilling down their faces. I slowly walked through the room and disappeared without so much of a glance from them.

They were in a different world.

Months later I could see the weariness drifting in and out of my father's eyes, his beard adding ten more years to his already aging appearance. He was running late for work because he was spending too much trimming his new companion. Finally, I asked him why he had chosen to grow a beard and invest so much time keeping it up.

"Because your mother said I looked handsome."

"Our love is now and forever." That is a simple yet packed sentence he inscribed on her wedding band, that he wrote in her first Bible that he presented to her on their wedding day, and had etched on the headstone that now rests above an empty box.

That is how I remember my parents.

No comments: