Saturday, November 13, 2004

On the Road ~ Again

This evening I had the pleasure of driving through a third mountain range in the last month. Don't get to say that everyday, so I'm milking it for all it's worth.

We got a call this morning that Grandma had an "episode" in the night and actually had a Code 4, which means her heart stopped. Dad and I made plans to leave at 8:30. If any of you know my father, you will not be shocked to hear that we left at 10:30 instead.

Tim said that Dad creates free time for us.

It doesn't seem like anything to hop in the car and drive ten hours anymore. We got to the hospital in time to see my cousins and their children from Texas. Grandma looks pretty good considering what happened. She's been winking a lot because that is her only mode of communication.

She hasn't been able to speak since last Friday, but she managed to say "I love you" when I first arrived at her side. That made me smile.

But she stared into our eyes. As if to say goodbye. Aunt Paula noticed it too. I'd like to say that it doesn't mean anything, but Sara did it, Mom did it, and her dad did it - just before they died.

The doctors don't really know what to expect. Dad seems a bit unsure of what to do. Aunt Paula acts as though she's never had to deal with anything like this before. Grandpa is too tired to know left from right. So, I ended up asking most of the questions when we spoke with the nurse. She's probably wondering how a sixteen year old would know what to talk about in these conditions.

I guess if you could pray for us at all, just pray that she's comfortable and that the rest of us will be able to handle whatever may be coming. I don't know when we'll be coming home.

Thanks.

No comments: