Monday, November 08, 2004

Danville isn't THAT bad after all.

Tonight I witnessed one of the most amazing and most anticipated phenomenons of my life. Just moments ago I was standing among bent corn stalks, bouncing from the cold but mainly from my excitement, and watching as an Aurora Borealis - stretched as far as I could see - danced from shades of green to red above my head. The streaks curved into the sky and appeared to trail into infinity with the stars.

For those who may not be "into" the meteorological world - although I know if you hang around me long enough you will be drawn in to some degree - Aurora Borealis (Nothern Lights) and Aurora Australis (Southern Lights) are nightime light shows most commonly viewed in the extreme upper or lower hemispheres. These lights are caused by the sun reflecting off of glaciers. Definitely not something seen in Central Illinois on any given day.

It has been a dream of mine - literally recognized on my "Life To Do List" - to witness this awe-striking dance in the sky.

The could possibly be one of the best nights of my life.

No comments: