Friday, April 16, 2004

The Spiritual Gift of Self-Control

I babysat for four hours today and walked out with $40. I love the babysitting culture in New England. Evidently these kids are worth valuable money. Back home most of my sitting is free...well, maybe because I'm related to the little monsters.

When I returned home from my raptor-attacking adventure my roommate was heading out the door for the coast. I said, "Heck, I'll go. I was going to ride my bike around the lake, but how many days do I get to frolick in the Atlantic?" So, it was on the road to various stops. All was well. Pictures should be wonderful. I felt good about it.

Then we stopped at the Kittery Outlet Mall.

"Lindy, splurge."
"You just made $40...spend a little."
"That looks great on you."

The taunting voices kept nagging at my soul. Save your money. Damien Rice is tomorrow and enjoy it to the fullest. Shirts aren't worth the money. Experience is priceless.

I was driving the salesguy batty with my indecision. He kept pulling out my size in a variety of styles and colors. His movements were to entice me into a sale. A sale of which he would be redeemed to a level of human worthiness despite this cruddy part-time weekend job.

I turned my back on the impressive cash register, walked to the table, returned the shirt to its original location, made my apologies, and walked out the door.

Hoorah! Victory was mine...I saved $11.59!

No comments: