Monday, May 01, 2006

Drive Back Roads

I didn't realize my brush with "the big guys" would continue through the weekend. Earlier this week I got an email from a friend. Jars of Clay was in the Manchvegas region and they needed more people to help with load in, concert, and load out. Naturally, I signed myself and Brad up. At first I thought Brad was going to kill me. I honestly gave him the option of not doing it, but he went along with my wishes and decided to join me for the early morning and lengthy day.

Feeling a tad guilty, I bought tickets for the two of us to see Jeff Dunham in Boston at the Comedy Connection. His frustration gave way to excitement. Now, the only task was to make sure he got up in time for load in on Saturday.

Saturday was exhausting, but awesome. Our tasks varied and everything was completed smoothly. I didn't feel any pressure that day until they forced me to eat my taco dinner in 8 minutes before the doors opened.

There were a few hours in the day that we just bummed around and made ourselves available for random help. Sound check began so I plopped down on a random chair and listened. A few others were littered around the large room. It was cold. I was alone. I love sound checks. It's honest. The musicians mess up. The sound fluctuates. The singer forgets the words. The sound man paces the room, returns to the board and tweaks. Jars cleared the stage one by one and Christopher Williams took his place. I had never heard his music before but was immediately astonished with his raw simplicity. I'm a new fan.

Brad and I ended up at the merch tables during and after the show. We worked alongside Schottsy (who is also a musician from Nashville) and Chris (who opened for Jars). I decided that Chris and Schottsy should come to work with me and just randomly express their joy for my presence and assistance - the men at my office aren't exactly "words of affirmation" kind of people, thus making it very difficult to work hard and stay on task. It can be very discouraging to always wonder if you are appreciated or if you're doing a good job. On the flip side, these men were very encouraging and made me feel like my time and energy had been worthwhile. It was my pleasure to be there and I extend my gratitude for their pure and kind hearts.

Time for a confession: It was good that I moved from the Jars table to Chris' table during the night. I liked their first album - alot. I was so disappointed with what I thought to be a poppier sound in the following albums that I just stopped trying their music. No, that doesn't make me an evil person because it's all a matter of taste and opinion. I just thoroughly enjoyed the personality of the early days. Truly, I felt like I was betraying every person who walked up and asked me my opinion of the various cds. "I don't know. But isn't that a great tshirt?"

Saturday night I was alive in my element. Database programming? Sure, I can do it. But working with people is my forte. That's why I loved the coffeehouse. That's why I enjoyed counseling. That's why sitting at a computer day in and day out drains me.

On to Sunday...

After church we headed to Worcester, Mass so Brad could test drive an Eagle Talon. Curtis was jealous. Curtis also got 36 mpg on this last tank of gas (still trying to rationalize that one). The Eagle Talon will never experience such mileage. We then sped away to Boston where we kicked around dirt, watched street performances in Quincy Market before heading up to a most hilarious comedy act by vantrilaquist Jeff Dunham. Check out his stuff on Comedy Central or his DVD on Amazon.

I met a lot of really cool people. I heard a lot of great music. I learned a few more things about myself. I got some new ideas. All-in-all it was a fantabulous weekend.

No comments: