Monday, May 01, 2006

Dear Aunt Lindy

A recent email from my 7 year old nephew, Ezra. He lives in Anderson, IN.

aunt lindy,

where do you live? do you live on a plane? do you live in a mailbox? i am going to a birthday party today.

love ezra.

My less-than-appealing reply:

Hi Ezra,

I live in Hooksett, NH. Not on an airplane. Not in a mailbox. I hope that does not lessen your opinion of me.

Such information can be quite crushing for a child. I had to follow up with something promising. A bribe of sorts...

I live in a house with a family who has two little boys. One of them is named Dillon (he is 6) the other is named Ryan (he is 5). They will be here when you come visit me. (Here is where I had to spice it up.) We also have a pool. You will get to go swimming with them, I am sure.

I hope you had a good time at your birthday party!
Love
Aunt Lindy

I have saved my title and preserved my reputation among my nephews. And the little children cheer for their favorite Aunt Lindy!!!

(I am a bit concerned as I wonder what his parents are telling him about me...if anything at all. Why on God's green earth would he assume I live in a mailbox?)

No comments: