Monday, November 29, 2004

Value

It is easy for me to think my simple life insignificant when I have a day like today:

I ran into a friend from highschool on Saturday. She was enormous! Four days overdue with her third child and looking pleasantly miserable. They would induce her today. They didn't need to. Rachel lost her baby this morning.

On the flip side, another classmate now compromising for the sake of a good job, is performing abortions during her residency.

A friend came home from New York this week. She and her husband had plans of visiting college friends and church family. Now they can't. Ashley's grandfather died this morning.

Another friend experiencing the loss of a relationship.

A woman from church was on my heart yesterday. She is a prayer warrior and one of my mom's favorite people. She has a disease that causes her horrible pain. The doctors can't do anything for her. Her marriage is on the rocks. She remains faithful and glorifies God in her circumstance. I called Lisa this morning to check on her and guess what she told me - she prays for me - all the time. In the midst of her suffering, she makes time for me...

My knees buckle. All the pain. All the hurt. Loss of a child. Death. Dying. Relationships desired, but untangible. Ministries hurting those called to them. Uncertainty. Depression. What are we doing for these people? Who can you be to them? Maybe you are one of them. Maybe I am too. Who are we being for each other?

Out of sight, out of mind has never been a tactic of mine, nor will it ever be. Know this, my friends, that you are always on my heart and in my prayers. I miss you and I wonder about you.

No comments: