Tuesday, November 23, 2004

The Dust of the Rabbi

We're in Hebrew History and Lit I & II, a darkened room provoked by Zorn's stubby finger and the light switch, and a video begins to play. Remember that man in the video who was teaching along the Jordan River to his students? I do, a little. Mostly, I was thinking about lunch.

The speaker, Ray Vander Laan, was at a seminar in Northern Indiana. I was there too with my brother Tim. We sat and soaked in seven hours of incredible teachings. My body ached in the Christian Reformed pews. My mind ached with all of the information. My heart ached at my ignorance.

I am intrigued with what I learned that day, but nearly devestated that following 18 years of Christian Education most of what I heard was new to me. Simply put, I do not know Scripture in light of its culture. So often we apply Scripture to the Western culture and expect to make sense of it. But shone through the eyes of Jewish traditions, the hearts of disciples and Jesus everything has wholesome and really cool meaning.

Danny Schaffner told me yesterday that Rob Bell (the Nooma video guy) is a huge fan of Ray Vander Laan. Evidently, a lot of his own sermons come from Ray's studies. I found that interesting. Look him up, it's cool stuff.

No comments: