Wednesday, September 22, 2004

Oh, My Femurs!

Eleven years ago today, I, Lindy Nardoni, traumatically subdued with antisthetic, underwent the latter of two surgeries that miraculously changed the way I walked.

The torture began at birth. Little did my parents know that the child that slipped ever-so-delicately from my mother's womb would be an insurance accident waiting to happen. This baby had legs that turned in from the hip. What appeared to be slight pigeon toe, with an easy solution, turned into years of bruises, scrapes, and scoffles. (Boy did I ever look ridiculous when I ran.) Ten years old and 55 pounds later, I was taken to Riley's Children's Hospital to be knocked out and attacked. The doctor performed a bi-lateral femoral osteonomy; which means, they cut an incision six inches long on each leg, shredded and stripped my muscles to reach my femur, sawed my femurs completely in two, twisted my legs until they were straight, and then secured the two severed halves with a stainless steel plate, four screws, and a bolt headed into my hip. I had to learn how to bend my knees and walk again. After months of rehabilitation and with my bones strengthened they set up a appointment to have the hardware removed.

And eleven years ago today, I marched back into that hospital and allowed the pain to reoccur. Only the recovery time was not as long.

And yes, I still have the hardware.

And yes, I am aware that most of you would not be my friends if I still walked that way.

No comments: