Tuesday, May 18, 2004

Keyed In



It has been at least six painstaking years since we have had the Nardoni piano tuned. Yesterday I sat down on our squeaky wooden bench with much anticipation of striking the keys in all their glory. My excitement was thwarted as each note caused my skin to crawl with disgust. My dad had the nerve to ask me if I was just "a little rusty."

After several minutes of noise I decided to call our local tuner and make something of the problem at hand. Twenty four hours and 50 dollars later I can enjoy my piano.

Bill's questions as he tuned away created curiosity in my soul. Just how old is our beautiful upright? He was quite impressed with its restoration (thanks to the parentals for investing) and I decided to do a little investigatory work.

Tim, you may be interested to know that our dear Ellington was built in 1912. It's as old as my rickity iron bed. Dad thanked me for paying this guy to come today, but he honestly couldn't tell a difference. Shocker, I know.

Does a piano have the capability of conducting electricity? If I play it during a thunderstorm, do I really increase my chances of being hit by lightning?

No comments: