Saturday, April 03, 2004

Adventures in the Land of the Living

Missions at hand: Make it to Boston alive. Pick up Adam and Lucas. Make it to Manchester alive.

Mission 1: Thursday was the big day. Jeanne and I loaded ourselves into the Silver Bullet and voyaged down I-93 towards Boston. Rain poured onto my slightly ghetto windshield causing great difficulty for my vintage wipers. They could hardly keep up. We made it to Boston alive.

Mission 2: You wouldn't think that mission 2 would be all that challenging. Maybe not, if we had known what airline they were flying, which would indicate the terminal we needed to be at, and thus inform us of which wing of the terminal they would be transported to. Gut instinct told me Terminal B. We wound up and up through Terminal B parking garage with a most obvious sub-mission; find a parking space. The path led the Silver Bullet to nothing other than the deluged top level. Her first parking attempt was amazing, but only if we hadn't the need to get out of the car. Yeah, I thought the other cars would have trouble opening their doors, but it never occurred to me that I wouldn't be able to get out of my own car. (Blonde moment #97432.) Needless to say, the gut's the way to go. We were at the right terminal.

Mission 3: Driving out of Boston - I shake my fist at the bozo who thought the Big Dig would be a blessing. Blasted thing nearly killed us! I-93 N exit was rendered unaccessible and our mission was thwarted by a large Hummer stretch limo. I was only trying to turn left and evidently Rollo didn't get the memo that there were two turn lanes. I don't know what the big deal was...the Silver Bullet would has just bounced off of his precious Hummer without leaving as much as a scratch. You would have thought that I had just killed his weiner dog with the way he laid on his horn. The Silver Bullet safely crossed the intersection and was moving on with life as the drowned sound of horn echoed in its absence. No problem. We made it home in one piece.

Tribute: Candle Pin bowling is a new concept for me. "New," unfortunately, would not indicate skill. Since Adam and Lucas came to visit this weekend, we decided that a grand conclusion to our Friday would be with a humiliating game of candle pin. By humiliating I mean, Lucas was bowling a beautiful two pins, three frames in a row. The game came down to the final frame and Lucas was up. Trailing by four points, I pointed out that he would end dead last. What is it with men and competition?!? As soon as the words flowed from my lips, he peered over his left shoulder, practically ran to the line, and released the ball at full force.

Good game, Luc. You beat me by one point.

No comments: