Wednesday, February 01, 2012

Today

This morning, I can't get this particular picture out of my head. I imagine this face, with a look of awe, joy, and contentment as Thao takes in the wonders, colors, and beauty surrounding him - cheering us on and waiting for us.


This photo was taken on a Day of Adventure in the Lincoln area only a few months ago. We had to reschedule once, but made it happen. We began at the Decatur Zoo and followed up with a stop at Gail's Pumpkin Patch. I kicked myself that whole day because I had packed my memory cards in another bag and missed out on a slew of photo opps at the zoo, but looking back, I got to participate with the kids that day. Everyone allowed me to stop by Target and send Brad in for an additional card so I could carry on my desired role and shoot away once we reached the patch.

Being a photographizer (as Brad calls it) is a double-edged sword. While I do "miss out" on the interactions - aka literally throwing children in the air with Jeff and Brad - I get to see into the soul and feel moments happening that others missed out on. As I put Thao's slideshow together, I could FEEL him looking back at me, totally allowing me to stick my lens in his face. I got the same, sweet acceptance from Ava the morning of Thao's Celebration of Life. In fact, she downright posed, but I'm sure no one is surprised by that. :)

Today, I really miss him. Today, I am thankful for the past three years in Illinois. Today, I wish responsibilities like bills would melt away so I could spend time, unlimited time with my loved ones. Today, take a photo of something you love. Today, now, is what we have. Don't squander it.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, die knowing you'll live forever." - Rich Mullins

To experience our Day of Adventure visit: http://thewayyouare.zenfolio.com/gailspumpkinpatchfall2011

No comments: