Wednesday, February 01, 2012

Today with Thao and Tiffany


Sunday, December 25, 2011 at 12:15am

Today I was struck with a variety of emotions. Several of you upheld me in one way or another until I was able to reach the doors of room 423 of Illinois Children's Hospital. A dear friend called to pray with me on my way to the hospital and one of the things she asked for was God's peace that surpassed all understanding. A few miles later, Cara and I approached the sliding glass doors. After pulling the door open, and subsequently causing an alarm to sound, we made our way into a room of warmth; of peace. I literally cannot explain the calm I felt in the room full of machines, wires, tubes, beeping, nurses, and a quiet little boy lying under a mountain of blankets and stuffed animals. I shouldn't have been surprised, not with Jeff's most specific prayers of peace to soothe his child, his wife, and his heart. Jeffrey whose first name means "God's peace" and a middle name meaning "Harmony" and "Rock." Tiffany. Tiffany, my dear, sweet, sister-in-law who has been a sister to my heart. In fact, it often freaks Jeff out how similar the two of us are. It was a wonderful blessing to have a few hours of time with my friend, my kindred spirit. My heart melted as I watched her reach for her baby and comfort him with words of encouragement and love. Thao was responsive for a part of my time with them. He nodded when Tiffany asked him if he would like to play with Uncle Brad and the new nerf gun. He nodded when I told him he was strong and doing a great job. I'm not sure if this note is for me or for you, but what I can tell you is that God's presence was in that room. He is there with Thao. He is with the nurses, doctors, Jeff, Tiffany. So, for those of you who have hearts torn as you feel restless, helpless, or disconnected, be encouraged this Christmas day - Our Lord who was born this day - or in May if you're to ask Brad :) - is ever-present and guarding the children he loves so dearly. He has answered your prayers and is wrapping them with grace, love, and faith.

Isaiah 9:6-7

6 For to us a child is born,
to us a son is given,
and the government will be on his shoulders.
And he will be called
Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God,
Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.
7 Of the greatness of his government and peace
there will be no end.
He will reign on David’s throne
and over his kingdom,
establishing and upholding it
with justice and righteousness
from that time on and forever.
The zeal of the LORD Almighty
will accomplish this.

Merry Christmas

No comments: