Monday, May 15, 2006

It rained and poured for forty day-zies day-zies

(This is the Merrimack River at Arm's Park in the Manchester Millyard.
The small poles poking out of the water are for kayak races and stand
12-15 feet above the usual water level.)


Welcome to the Water World we in Manchester-Hooksett region formerly referred to as "the Merrimack River." My house, the cozy home I have grown quite fond of and the fabulous family I live with are positioned in the community of Hooksett and across the street from the Mighty Merrimack. Up until now, I have not been concerned of flooding possibilities. Up until now...

It has rained steadily for four days straight. The state of New Hampshire has received two months worth of rain in three of those days. Yesterday, select roads in low-lying areas were closed down. With it being Mother's Day, I spent the evening with Kelly and family. Kelly was my internship mentor and has taken me under her wing from day one. Naturally, I would spend said day with her. During dinner I called home. Dwight answered the phone with a hesitant voice, "We really think you should stay where you are tonight. The National Guard is only letting residents in and encouraging people not to travel if possible." Okay, fair enough.

The news stations were making announcements that the National Guard would be arresting individuals who refused to evacuate homes that were in mandatory locations. I made a nice bed on the couch at the Belley home, propped quite nicely at the top of Manchester's Beech Hill.

My obnoxious alarm sounded. Rather than resetting it, I chose to flip on the television and see if roads to my work would even be accessible. Yes, 28 Bypass was clear as long as I planned to approach from the South. Darn.

To the shower I go. Sure, I have to wear yesterday's clothes, but at least my hair can be clean.

Knock.

"Lindy are you in there?" asks Kelly.

"Yeah, what's up?"

"I just got an email from Christine. She, Dwight and the kids are voluntarily evacuating your house this morning. Just thought you'd like to know - and further complicate your life."

I called my boss and informed him of the situation. I would try to run home before work to pack some clothes, grab my essentials, and head to the office. The National Guard let me pass through their barrier at Dunkin Donuts. I drove slowly and scanned the land off to my right to check for the river level. There it raged - a brown mirky river that taunted each house on it's bank.

Approaching 1/4 mile from my road I was stopped at another barricade. This one was different. This one was a block from my house. This is when I found out that my house is already under three feet of water and expected to continue rising for the next three days. They were also keeping an eye on the section of road before me, anticipating it to collapse in a nicely carved sink hole.

So, thank you Merrimack River. Thank you for spreading the love. Thank you for sending hundreds of families homeless. Thank you for giving me a reason to go shopping.

But dangit. I don't want to go shopping.

No comments: