Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Bleep-mas

Holiday trees, Merry Winter pageants, tolerance, political correctness... Did someone say "freedom?"

Could it be that we have finally snapped to the day in which our freedoms are exactly what are keeping us from being who we are? Target, among Best Buy and several other corporations have refused to host the presence of Salvation Army bell ringers because it offends their customers who, "Come knowing exactly what they want to buy and don't want to be bothered by third party solicitors." Christmas trees in Boston can only be identified as holiday trees (Note: root word "holy. Also note: Christmas trees are a "pagan" tradition in the first place.) A family in Michigan went to court a couple of weeks ago after being told to remove the nativity from their lawn or expect to pay $100 until it was gone. School teachers having to fight for their students to read A Christmas Carol in the classroom.

As I am situated on the brink of settling down and one day having a family, I have to seriously consider the risk in bringing children into this world. What is it going to look like for them?

I am sick of receiving dirty looks at the grocery stores and doctor's office because I wish them a Merry Christmas. I am tired of backing down and prancing around the athiests, liberals, and overly-sensitive (just becuase we have allowed them to be). I am sick of them dictating who I am allowed to be in my so-called "free" country.

So, I'm not going to let them.

I am Lindy and as Lindy, I not only want to, but will wish you a VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS regardless of whether or not you are religious, a naturally happy person, a person at all, a sad person seeking merriment, an individual accustomed to celebratory days of the year, one who has multiple personalities and can't decide which holiday to celebrate, someone who has no one to party with and hence must grovel in your own self-pity and disaster like Scrooge, or whether you even know what "Christmas" or "merry" mean. I am guilty to assume that if you don't know the meaning of said terms I am techinically putting you in the position of seeking the meaning and hence imposing my ideals upon your naive head. To this I owe no apology. Suck it up, America. It's time to focus on the importance of life, not your excuse for being grumpy day in and day out.

It's the most wonderful time of year, after all.

No comments: