Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Stuck in a Web

Work has been ridiculously inconsistent as of late. One moment I am swamped with boredom and mind-numbing online activity and the next I am hounded with United Healthcare requests and demands. The spittle and influctuation of the day would be a nightmare if not for the fluid connectivity of the broadband world.

I baffle myself with what I consume my time. Some days I have a mental list of google items and research questions. Other days I would rather vegitate as my eyes zone into a mass of flash items and games. I may be intellectually on edge ready to take a test and challenged of my knowledge. Yesterday I had such a moment and began an IQ test. Sadly, halfway through I found myself incredibly bored, without a second thought I quickly selected random answers for the rest of the exam. I got it done. And fast. Perhaps I should be taking the ADHD test.

Unstimulated by interacting with a machine I ache for the conversations of friends beyond. Then I wonder...What if instant messaging were merely a conspiracy created by the American Psychological Association for job and economic security? I mean, really, it's brilliant. They set us up by indicating through Microsoft, Yahoo, MSN, etc. that we are having these communicative moments while in reality each message is intercepted by a psychiatrist who then in turn makes us "aware" that these conversations are of our imagination, hence flinging us into their chairs wondering why we thought such things were real to begin with and throwing our thousands of dollars into medications, meetings, and mental health programming. Everyone on the outside splits the profits and the rest of us waddle through life terrified.

Or not.

I found the above picture online. Instantly, it reminded me that if one should choose to cut a feline's whiskers the subject will appear tipsy, run into walls and stuff. Give them some catnip and it's a trip for all!

No comments: