Thursday, September 01, 2005

A Day Late and 25 Dollars Short


This is a picture of my single-day, overdue inspection sticker. I really don't know how many states enforce an annual vehicle inspection, but Illinois is not one of them. Moving to New Hampshire has introduced many fabulous qualities and many annoying ones. I think it fair to say that the mandatory car inspection is one of the obnoxious attributes.

For those, like myself prior to relocation, who do not understand this concept, I shall do my best to provide an explanation. For some odd reason, the State of NH would prefer not having a load of jalopy rides breaking down on the side of their highways and roadways. They like low accident percentages that would be due to faulty brakes or the random, flinging windshield wiper. Whatever that is about. What it really means is that you will never be able to drive your car into the ground. They actually make you pay for a new bumper because in these parts, duct tape is not an acceptable feature. It now costs $50 for them to probe my car year after year.

Upon the purchase of my car, the above sticker was already in place. I thought that was a pretty snazzy deal until I realized that the sticker should match my birth date. So, in six months, I will most likely be repeating the process. Another $50.

Should I get pulled over before Friday (when I am scheduled to take Curtis in) I could be charged $250 and towed on the spot. Boy, am I excited.

In better news, I bought an iTrip from Target yesterday. What a beautiful thing it is. I can use it on any FM stereo. No longer do I have to listen to the crappy Top 40 stations at work, but I can instead enlighten those sitting about me with real, good music. If you have an iPod and you don't have the iTrip yet, I highly recommend splurging the 25 bucks.

No comments: