Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Open Mouth, Insert Foot

It was a day I began like any other. Quite relaxed with my pace of preparation, I meandered casually to my car and started an early morning commute to work. Quite bored out of my skull by 10:30 a.m. I perfected my Bejeweled 2 skills in a 20 minute game that I magnificently completed with a 4 1/2 star rating and 1,005,000 points. It's okay, you can be impressed.

The morning eventually shifted to afternoon. A gorgeous day of warmth and breeze, emphasized by the lengthy sunlight; for the first day of summer is the longest day of the year. A fantastic, splitting headache quickly over-road my system. Staring intensly at my computer monitor caused a pain likened to nails slamming through my eyes and shoving the round masses of fluid deeply and upward into my frontal lobe.

My evening was to include friends and tacos, a combination worthy of any excitement one can conjure in such aforementioned circumstances. Any who know me well know that on a good day my best suit may not be impromptu speech. Surely, pen and paper is more to my liking. I am forced to think thoroughly prior to inscription thus weeding out unecessary commentary or insults. On a bad day, all reasoning is shot and mostly worthless as I have none. This particular night was such a day.

Stephanie stood to refill her plate. The burrito style shells proved to be filling and one more stuffed to brim would be an unappealing amount; however, said shell cut in half would be ever delightful. She returned to the table and began folding her creation which I found astonishing and intriguing. Enough so that I spoke up, "Oh that is fu...(small laugh)...I was about to tell you that looked funny and cute at the same time. Silly me, fucute!" (Long emphasis on the "fu") And then I realized my ignorance. My lack of zest. My blonde moment. Not only did I stop myself once - as I knew enough about what was to come from my lips to be nonsensical - but I went ahead and said it, loudly, and hilariously made a fool of myself. Classic.

So there it is. Fucute is not a word, but it sounds like another.

And people actually trust me with their children.

No comments: