Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Simple as -ly

Three things will get an immediate, visible rise out of me.

And in descending order...
3. Fingernails on a chalkboard.
2. People who chew with their mouth open and/or make mouth noises when they talk.
1. The lack of proper grammar. More specifically (or "specific" for the majority of Americans) the absence of -ly endings on adverbs.

On Monday evenings, Dwight, Christine and I will spend an hour or so watching television together. Between the commercials and scripts, the lack of correct adverb usage is enough to send me into a state of insanity. Dwight is just as disturbed by it as I am. Together we cringe in repulsion.

Most recently I was at Subway, one of my favorite fast food venues. Quite ecstatic with my purchase of a fully loaded steak and cheese sandwich, I anxiously meandered back to the car with my coworkers. The aroma was actually disturbing in the confines of the truck's cab. (Steak and cheese can smell much like sewage if you aren't actually eating it.)

Upon our return to the office, I swiftly sat down and uncloaked my sandwich with a smile that quickly turned into a gasp of horror... There, lying before me on the table's gray surface was a disturbing advertisement. In bold lettering it read, "Fresh Toasted." What?!?! Has professionalism hit an all-time low? Was someone actually paid to design and print a grammatically incorrect logo?

It is "Freshly Toasted" people...come on...

By the way, I thoroughly enjoyed my sandwich once the poor paper goods were properly discarded.

No comments: