Monday, May 31, 2004

Reality Bites



This is my cousin, Erin. Everyone say "hi" to Erin. As you can see to the right, she is a new addition to the blogger realm. A little grasshopper in the game, if you visit her site, please keep a mentoring spirit of encouragement and delight. She's 19 and attends EIU while studying art (which she kicks butt at). This may too imply that she is creative, artsy, and "depressive"...but I don't really want to label her.

As for biting reality...I am currently feeling torn about reality television. I just spent an hour of my evening journaling and simultaneously watching "Candid Camera" which could possibly be one of the first reality shows, seemingly innocent in its genre, but providing laughs at the expense of other people's self worth and dignity.

Here is my dilemma of sorts - Being a social service nit wit, I enjoy watching the twisted interactions offered in reality TV; however, they are each the same vicious, narcissistic freaks of nature who want nothing more than money, fame, and success. They will go to any great lengths of public humiliation, sexual appointments, and dangerous dares for a few seconds of sick attention. Why on earth should I enjoy watching these people?

When I thought I have seen it all, they come up with something else. Have any of you seen advertisements for "Superstar?" These horrible singers think they are in the finals to be labeled as terrific talent...but they are in midst of a countdown to find out that they are the absolute worst musicians in the United States. I'll be honest, my initial reaction was humored horror, but how awful for these young people.

I hope that we are approaching the extinction of this form of social suicide. Because their reality bites.

No comments: