Sunday, January 18, 2004

The frigid East lives up to its name. The people are warm-hearted and the weather is not. Despite the looming cold and silver skies I have managed to have a wonderful time. I have been here a week and feel as though a month has passed. There is much to be done around here and consequently I have hit the ground running.

Yesterday a group of us from Manchester Christian Church assisted a new church plant in Portland, Maine in renovating a cinema for their church services. Come to find out one of the planters, Beth, used to stay at our house in Hoopeston when she toured with CBC about 20 years ago. She and my mom wrote each other until ten years ago. Small world, big God.

Kelly, my mentor, has already adopted me as one of her own. Freakishly enough, her family reminds me of ours...they're crazy too.

Amtrak may not be everyone's chosen mode of transportation. Watching the happy train pull up in front of my quaint downtown apartment in Lincoln made me envious of the happy people stowed within. With books propped open on their blanketed laps, they would glance out the window to soak in one more stop on their journey. I had a similar experience on such a train that wound its way through the trees and hills of the midwest and out to Boston. A great ticket price meant that Dad and I would indeed be paying for the ride in another form; meaning, a long 27 hours on board our coach commuter car. If you have low patience I do not recommend such travel, but I tell you that this will not be the last time I ride across the states in a silver car on rails.

I must depart for yet another adventure. Tonight Kelly and I are going to the Youth Prison.

I miss and love you all!




No comments: